Pages

Into the Open Source world!!

Friday, March 14, 2014
I've started programming from age 12. That start was for a school related Software competition. That's moment i knew i need an inspiration to do something great. Since then i developed a lot of programs and all of them were Microsoft Windows related. Even in that time i haven't had much connection with the open source world.

When i was like 16 i got in touch with Linux. Most likely Ubuntu. I worked out with it for a while but i didn't get myself really into it because i was more familiar with Microsoft Windows and i was afraid of change. But one day i digged really deep into it it and found it amazing. I saw how low the resource usage is, How stable and how fast it is. I started to feel that i could take more out of it. Of course i've Fallen in love <3 with Linux. I've looked into more distributions and i knew i'd fit with Ubuntu.



So after all of this, while i was wondering through i found something called Gnome Desktop. That was the most interesting part of the journey :). I installed  Gnome desktop and VoilĂ ! exactly what i was looking for. Everything with Gnome was much easier. And i found that a lot of Ubuntu applications are also related to Gnome. I was missing PhotoShop, using a lot of online photo editors and that's when i got into Gimp. And i was using many more open source software such as LibreofficeCode::Blocks, VLC player, PCSX2CCextractor, Git, GCC etc. I played a lot with Gnome, extensions and all other things. As a user i got 100% familiar with Gnome, Linux terminal and other open source software.

As a Linux user we have to get very Familiar with Bash commands or Linux terminal which is almost same to unix shell. My sources of getting familiar with command lines are mainly apt-get, curl, SSH, CCextractorGitGCC and many other.

At those times i was doing a lot of C programming. And i was into WxWIdgets too. But i was not happy with it. Libreoffice is of my day to day use and one day i wondered how those GUIs are coded. That's when i found Gtk+. That was the Happiest me, Programming with Gtk. I used Code::Blocks for doing my coding with Gtk. I didn't think for once Everything i using was Free and they had a lot of work done into them to get them working. But when i found the relationship between Gnome, Gimp and Gtk, it was the time everything finally made sense to me. There are lots of people that work so much hard to make the world better and full with Freedom.

So in this time my inspiration was work in my 
class. As it was started i had a thought to do some contributions. I thought to start contributing from Gnome. First i was very confused with how do i do those things. Everyone gotta be. But good people at Gnome put a lot into me and then..... Here's me ended up doing Contributions for Gnome. ^_^. The first contribution i have done, That was the Happiest day of my life as a Developer. I have to remind again that the Experienced developers, users and all other people at Gnome were very kind and helpful to me.

Gnome is just my start. There thousands of other organisations that need contributions to build up. My plan is to contribute to as much organizations as i can.

So this is my story of getting involved in Open Source world. I wish everyone could be a part of it and feel that Freedom. We gotta Keep in mind that we always have a much to learn.

"WHEN YOU GET SOME LOVE KEEP IN MIND TO GIVE SOME"

Happy coding!!! :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi i'm Mahesh Wijerathna .a sri lankan , schooler . Nice to meet you Mahesh .And wooh it's a miracle we have same names and same things going here. Me too love linux os specialy ubuntu and k**i linux os . And now i m a game developer with Unity3d . It's really nice to meet u .

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://ideacreatorsmahesh.blogspot.com/?m=1

    ReplyDelete